A newsletter published by Dan Macon, Farm Advisor for Livestock and Natural Resources.
Jul 27, 2022
- Its that Time of Year Again - Are you Ready for Wildfire?
- Livestock Guardian Dog Updates
- Blue Oak Mortality Update
- Beale Air Force Base Pasture Leases Out to Bid
- Foothill Agricultural Water Use Survey
- Workshop Schedule
- How do you prefer to get information from your local UC COOPERATIVE EXTENSION LIVESTOCK and NATURAL RESOURCES Program?
Download (3,492KB PDF)
Apr 15, 2022
- Drought Update - A Third Dry Year
- Cattle & sheep Grazing School set - Register HERE
- Sheep and Shepherds in the 21st Century – PhotoVoice Survey
- 2022 Livestock Access Pass Update
- Livestock Guardian Dog Updates
- Foothill Agricultural Water Use Survey
- Can’t Make the Webinar? Check out these Virtual Learning Opportunities!
Download (3,729KB PDF)
Jan 25, 2022
- Rancher's Wildfire Field Day - February 18, 2022
- New Fact Sheet: Wolves and Compensation Update
- Using Livestock Guardian Dog with Cattle
- Start Planning Now for your Targeted Grazing Project
- Prescribed Fire Workshops
- Winter/Spring Workshops Schedule
- Livestock Info Survey: http://ucanr.edu/livestockinfosurvey
Download (2,314KB PDF)
Jul 30, 2021
- Placer-Nevada-Yuba Disaster Livestock Access Pass Sign-Up Extended - https://ucanr.edu/sites/Livestock/files/355150.pdf
- Beginning Farming Academy set for September - http://ucanr.edu/beginfarming21
Download (240KB PDF)
Jul 13, 2021
- Placer and Nevada UCCE Offices Reopening!
- More than Simply Surviving
- Help us Pilot-Test a New Drought Decision Support Tool
- Managing Irrigated Pasture during Drought
- Getting our Ranches Ready for Fire Season
- Disaster Livestock Access Pass Program in the Works fo the Foothills
- Upcoming Workshops
Livestock Info Survey: http://ucanr.edu/livestockinfosurvey
Download (2,004KB PDF)
May 26, 2021
Managing Risk in Your Sheep Operation - Production Workshop
Wednesday, June 23, 2021 | 10-2p
Foster's Bighorn Restaurant - Rio Vista, CA
Thursday, June 24, 2021 | 9 - 1p
Wool Growers Restaurant - Bakersfiled, CA
Download (446KB PDF)
Apr 13, 2021
- Now is the Time to Consider Irrigated Pasture Renovations
- Turns Out - We are in a Drought!
- Shepherding Fire: Lessons from our Prescribed Fire on Working Landscapes Workshop
- A Few Tips for Hiring a Targeted Grazing Contractor
- CDFA Offers Free RFID Cattle Ear Tags
Download (2,239KB PDF)
Feb 11, 2021
March 12-15, 2021
Download (3,615KB PDF)
Jan 13, 2021
- Are We in for Another Drought?!
- Getting the Most out of Fall Feed
- When Should Lambs be Vaccinated?
- A Dry Fall and a Heavy Acorn Crop: Keep an Eye out for Acorn Toxicity
- What to do When an Animal Dies? Composting Could be the Answer
- New Research - Opportunities for Producer Participation
Download (2,029KB PDF)
Oct 8, 2020
- A Rancher's Fire Safe Council for the Foothills
- More on Blue Oaks
- Wildfire Ash on Forage and in Stock Water
- Round 2: More Public Safety Power Shut-offs
- Livestock Protection Tools - Operation Size Matters
- Getting Started in Targeted Grazing - 2020 Webinar Series
- Autumn 2020 Beef Production Webinar Series
- The Sheep Stuff Ewe Should know Podcast - Not Just For Sheepherders!
Download (1,461KB PDF)
Sep 18, 2020
Introduction to Targeted Grazing (Tuesday, October 6, 2020 - 6-7:30 pm):
UCCE Live Stock and Natural Resources Advisor Dan Macon will provide an overview of targeted grazing, including grazing management picking the right grazer for the job, livestock management, and customer relations. Cost $10 Click here to register.
The Business of Targeted Grazing (Tuesday, October 21, 2020 - 6-7:30 pm):
Join Dan Macon and a panel of targeted grazing contractors to learn about the ins and outs of building a targeted grazing business. Cost $10 Click here to register.
Download (434KB PDF)
Jul 14, 2020
- COVID-19 and UC Cooperative Extension
- Direct Marketing - Challenges & Opportunities
- Does Direct Marketing Add Value to Livestock?
- USDA Announces Online Portal for CFAP Applications
- USDA Declares Drought Disaster
- Sierra Harvest Offering 2020 Ag Skills Courses
- Public Safety Power Shutoff Needs Assessment
- Webinar and Podcast Schedule
Download (628KB PDF)
May 27, 2020
USDA Farm Service Agency is now accepting producer applications for CFAP assistance payments from livestock producers. https://www.farmers.gov/cfap
- CFAP for Livestock Producers: https://www.farmers.gov/sites/default/files/documents/FSA_CFAP_ForLivestock_Fact%20Sheet-2020-5-26-20.pdf
- CFAP for Wool Producers: https://www.farmers.gov/sites/default/files/documents/FSA_CFAP_Wool_Fact%20Sheet-2020-5-26-20.pdf
Download (249KB PDF)
Apr 13, 2020
- Ranching During a Pandemic
- Coronaviruses in human and animal health
- To Fertilize or Not to Fertilize? That is the Question!
- Moderate Drought Persists in Northern California
- CA Dept of Fish and Wildlife Launches Human-Wildlife Conflict Website
- Virtual Meetings!
- Livestock and Natural Resources Program Survey - http://ucanr.edu/livestockingosurvey
Download (1,756KB PDF)
Feb 21, 2020
Saturday, March 7, 2020 | 8 am - 12 pm
Download (361KB PDF)
Jan 21, 2020
- Rainfall Forage Growth: A Look Back and a Look Ahead
- Should I Still Vaccinate for Brucellosis?
- But She's My Favorite Cow!
- Mix 'em Up: Avoiding Habituation with Livestock Protection Tools
- Disaster Preparation for Your Ranch
Download (928KB PDF)
Oct 22, 2019
- Costs vs. Benefits: The Economics of Using Livestock Guardian Dogs
- Smutgrass: Growing Problem on Irrigated Pasture
- Blue Oak Mortality on Foothill Rangelands
- Preparing your Cow Herd for Breeding
- Is Your Farm or Ranch a Business?
- Upcoming workshop: "So you want to start a farm or ranch..."
Download (1,181KB PDF)
Jul 5, 2019
- Managing Livestock Nutrition on Dry Forage
- Fire Season is Upon Us
- Coccidiosis in Sheep and Goats
- Sierra Harvest Land Match Program
- Observations of Blue Oak Needed
- USDA Will Require RFID Brucellosis Tags
- Complete the Ranch Management Survey for the chance to win a YETI cooler!
- Summer Workshops Calendar
Download (867KB PDF)
Jul 1, 2019
The California Department of Fish and Wildlife is looking to lease approximately 1800 acres in Yuba County for cattle grazing.
Please follow up directly with CDFW if you have questions!
Download (3,820KB PDF)
Apr 23, 2019
- Principles of Targeted Grazing and Estimating Grazing Periods
- Technology (fencing, portable water systems, grazing tracking and mapping, predator protection, etc.)
- Picking the Right Animal for the Job
- Business Management (including enterprise analysis, logistics and planning, bidding for contracts, public relations, managing cash flow, etc.)
- Grazer/Client Panel
Download (699KB PDF)
Apr 11, 2019
- Thinking about Hiring a Targeted Grazing Contractor?
- Marketing Your Calves
- Preventing Pinkeye
- Integrated Predator Management
- Nevada Irrigation District Proposes Irrigation Water Rate Increase
- Speaking of Irrigation Season...
- UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine Kicks Off Leptospirosis Study
- Ranching in a Drying Climate
- Virulent Newcastle Disease Update
- Spring Workshop Calendar
Download (1,254KB PDF)
Mar 7, 2019
Register today for two UCCE rancher-focused workshops in March 2019!
Wednesday, March 20 - 2019 Cattlemen's Symposium: Join UC Davis and UCCE experts in cattle marketing, beef cattle genetics, cattle health, and pasture weed management! This half-day symposium will be held at Correia Livestock in Lincoln. $15/person - includes lunch. Co-sponsored by the Tahoe Cattleman's Association. Register at http://ucanr.edu/2019cattlesymposium.
Friday, March 29 - Livestock Protection Tools Field Day (Penn Valley): Are you curious about nonlethal livestock protection tools but concerned about cost and effectiveness?Join UCCE for this half-day, hands-on field day exploring a variety of livestock protection tools! Keynote speaker Cat Urbigkit is a Wyoming cattle and sheep producer who has used livestock guardian dogs and other tools to protect livestock from wolves and other predators. Please note: thsi field day is focused on the needs of commercial ranchers. We will be hosting a similar workshop for agency staff, nonprofit organization and non-commercial livestock owners later in Spring 2019. No charge! Register at http://ucanr.edu/livestockprotectiontoolsnevadaco.
Download (429KB PDF)
Jan 22, 2019
- Reporting on Drought
- California Animal Health and Food Safety Lab Updates
- Winter/Spring Workshops Calendar
Download (1,682KB PDF)
Oct 18, 2018
- New Waste Discharge Requirements for Confined Bovine Feeding Operations
- New Research to Evaluate Early Weaning as Drought Strategy
- New Research Evaluates Livestock Guardian Dog Breeds
- Placer-Nevada-Sutter-Yuba Livestock and Natural Resource Needs Assessment
- Workshop and Events Calendar
- Grazing Technology Field Day
Download (594KB PDF)
Sep 5, 2018
California Sheep and Goat Grazing School
Establishing Irrigated Pasture Field Workshop
So You Want to Start a Farm or Ranch…
Grazing Technology Field Day
Download (171KB PDF)
Jul 9, 2018
- A Gray Wolf Visits Nevada County
- Is Your Ranch Ready for Fire Season?
- More than Cows or Sheep: Ecosystem Services from Ranchlands
- Virulent Newcastle Disease Reported in Southern California Chickens
- Workshop and Events Calendar
- Sierra Foothill Wool Pool
- Sheep & Goat Grazing School
Download (978KB PDF)
Jun 25, 2018
Virulent Newcastle Disease Reported in Southern California Chickens
The California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) has reported a case of Virulent Newcastle Disease (VND) in a small flock of backyard exhibition chickens in Los Angeles County. The case was detected at the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine’s California Animal Health and Food Safety (CAHFS) Laboratory. CDFA has quarantined potentially exposed birds.
Download (184KB PDF)
Apr 12, 2018
- Another Strange Year
- New Forage Varieties
- New Publication Outlines Livestock Protection Tools
- Wool Testing
- Workshop Calendar
Download (552KB PDF)
Jan 5, 2018
- What's Your Drought Plan?
- New Antibiotic Requirements for Livestock Producers - Are You Ready?
- Workshops for Sheep Producers
- Farm and Ranch Business Planning Short Course
- Placer-Nevada-South Sutter-North Sacramento Subwatershed Group Annual Meeting
Download (848KB PDF)
Oct 17, 2017
- After the Fire - Tips for Rangeland Managers
- Matching Your Cows to the Environment
- Controlling Internal Parasites in Sheep and Goats
- The Dirty Dozen Pasture and Rangeland Weeds
- New Research/Demonstration: the Livestock Guardian Dog Project
- Will Your Ranch Outlast You? Planning for Continuity
- Introduction to Farm Business Workshop
Download (642KB PDF)
Aug 23, 2017
Beef Quality Assurance Workshop
Saturday, September 23, 2017
8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Sierra Foothill Research and Extension Center
8279 Scott Forbes Road, Browns Valley, CA 95918
Download (255KB PDF)
Jul 27, 2017
New Livestock & Natural Resources Advisor
Beef Quality Assurance Workshop
Coping with hot weather - keeping animals and people safe
Ranching in the Sierra Foothills Blog
Download (659KB PDF)
Nov 20, 2014
Rice Strawlage Field Tours
It has been demonstrated that baling rice straw immediately after harvest (called rice strawlage) greatly increases its nutritional value for livestock. Baling at 30 to 40 percent moisture can have the challenge of mold management. With the help of producers, the University of California has been researching rice strawlage during the last two years. Two tours will offer livestock and rice producers a chance to determine if rice strawlage would work in their operations.
Monday, December 15, 2014, 12:00pm – 3:30pm
Tour and hosted lunch at the Parker Ranch in Williams and Sand Creek Ranch in Arbuckle
Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 9:00am – 11:00am
Tour of the research heifers on rice strawlage at the Sierra Foothill Research and Extension Center at 8279 Scott Forbes Road in Browns Valley
Download (133KB PDF)
Jul 8, 2014
Rice Straw - A New Method to Get Through a Drought
Tuesday, July 29, 2014
9am - Noon
Veterans Memorial Hall
525 West Sycamore Street, Willows, CA
Download (182KB PDF)
May 8, 2014
Please take a look at the attached letter and flyer for more information on how to participate in our May 8th, Be a Scientist for a Day!
Download (3,418KB PDF)
Jan 10, 2014
Mitigating Drought Optimizing Pasture and Supplemental Fee and Managing Risk
Workshop: January 29, 2014
Browns Valley ~ 9:00 am
To Register to attend or register for the webcast go to http://ucanr.edu/sites/sfrec/.
Download (411KB PDF)
Dec 5, 2013
January 11, 2014
7:30am - 5:00pm
Gladys Valley Hall
UC Davis, Health Sciences Campus
Download (323KB PDF)
Apr 19, 2013
UC Sierra Foothill Research and Extension Center Field Workshop!
Download (333KB PDF)
Aug 23, 2012
- Milestone (Aminopyralid) Applied Preemergence can Control Medusahead
- 2011/2012 Northern California Winter Pasture Experience Varies
- Important Facts to know about the Herbicide: Glyphosate
Download (530KB PDF)
May 3, 2012
The UC Sierra Foothill Research & Extension Center will be hosting the Beef and Range Field Day on Friday, May 18, 2012 from 9:15 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Registration will be from 8:30 - 9:15 a.m. For the agenda of events, directions to the extension center and registration fees (which includes morning refreshments & lunch) please see the attached document.
Download (122KB PDF)
Feb 22, 2012
In this edition:
- Pasture Aeration Trial
- 2010/11 Northern California Winter Pasture Experience
- Effects of Heavy Grazing on Tarweed and Vinegarweed
- A Method to Implement Crossbreeding
Download (3,150KB PDF)
Feb 9, 2012
Winter Animal Health Meetings, February 24th, 2012
Maxwell Inn - Maxwell, CA 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Shasta Livestock Auction Yard, Cottonwood, CA 5 p.m. - 9 p.m.
Download (651KB PDF)
Dec 29, 2011
- Update on Using a Rotary Wiper
- Slender Aster Control
- Controlling Wire Grass in Irrigated Pastures
- Effects on Heavy Grazing on Tarweed and Vinegarweed
Download (2,615KB PDF)
Jul 3, 2008Beef Quality Assurance Program Meeting at the Cole Facility - UC Davis, on May 7th, 8:30am - 3:30 pm
Feb 23, 2011Weather Alert about low snow and dangers of cattle eating Oak leaf buds.
Oct 1, 2010Smutgrass Management in Irrigated Pasture Meeting - Saturday, October 30, 2010
Feb 4, 2010CSU, Chico Annual Beef Day & Trade Show Agenda, Saturday, February 20, 2010
Jan 25, 2010Beef Day 2010 Meeting Announcement Saturday, February 20, 2010
Dec 10, 2008
Jun 5, 2009Reproductive Herd Health EPD Accuracy Occurrence of Animal Plant Poisonings in California Fertilizing Grazed Irrigated Pasture Affect of Time of Transport after Insemination on Pregenancy Rates: When should I Not Ship Cows? Fiddleneck
Mar 11, 2008Beef & Range Field Day April 5, 2008 California Poultry Academy April 11-12, 2008
Jan 30, 2008Summary of Selenium, Copper and Zinc Status for Beef Cattle in Northern California Euthanasia (Humane Killing) of Cattle with a Firearm Livestock Compensation Program
Aug 11, 2008Feed Alternatives in a Drought Year Marketing Your Calves on the Video A Quick Review New Trichomonosis Laws in California Applications Now Being Accepted for NRCS EQIP Funding Fall Cattle Health Reminders Managing Mint in Irrigated Pasture in California An Introduction to Grazing for Weed Control Irrigation Scheduling Tools in Sacrametno Valley Irrigated Pastures Implications of Postweaning Nutrition on Carcass Characteristics and Feed Costs
Jul 15, 2008Water Quality Update Why is the Grass Greener Under that Oak Tree Making Decisions in the Information Age Drought Sales of Livestock: Managing the Taxes Monthly Irrigated Pasture Production in Shasta County Blackberry Management
Aug 21, 2008California's Trichomonosis Control Program: Proposed Changes Barb Goatgrass - Impact and Control Efficacy of Pour-on vs. Injectable Ivomec Trial Let us know what you think of the newsletter
Mar 17, 2008Agenda for Beef & Range Field Day at Sierra Foothill Research & Extension Center Article from Larry Forero, Dan Drake UC Livestock Advisors and Rollie Meyer, CE Soil Specialist for UC on 'To Fertilizer or not to Fertilize'
Feb 25, 20082007 Niche Meat Marketing Conference Agenda Managing Annual Rangelands and Droughts
Jan 14, 2008Culling Decisions New Herbicide for Yellow Starthistle Beef Day at CSU Chico Farm Niche Meat Conference March 20-21, 2007
Aug 24, 2009New regulations for livestock identification meeting, plus a free steak dinner. Local Cattle Family Receives CBCIA Award
Dec 19, 2007SFREC Field Day, april 20 in Browns Valley Livestock Handling with Temple Grandin, May 8 in Red Bluff Butte County Cattlemen's Field Day, may 6 in Oroville
Jan 4, 20102006 Niche Meat Marketing Conference March 21-22, 2006 at Chico State, Chico
Jun 8, 2011New Stocker Cost Study Beef Day at CSU February 18, 2006 Butte County Cattlemen Annual Red Meat Diner February 3, 2006 Gold Country Casino
Jun 8, 2011CBCIA to Host "Bulls and Reproduction" events August 3, 2005 at CSUC Farm on Hegan Lane, Chico
Sep 10, 2009Meeting Announcements Butte County Cattlemen's Field Day Sheep Shearing School California Wool Growers Nutritional Management Meeting
Apr 10, 2008Glenn/Colusa/Yolo Cattlemen's Field Day Cattle Marketing Study
Jun 11, 2008West Nile Virus in Horses Information UC Beef and Range Field Day at the Sierra Foothill Research and Extension Center
Jun 8, 20112005 Niche Meat Marketing Conference at CSU March 17-19 Selling Meat and Meat Products publication website
Dec 1, 2008Beef Day and Trade Show, February 19, 2005 agenda Agricultural lands Return Flows Regulation
Jun 8, 2011UC Beef & Range Field Day Sierra Foothill Research & Extension Center Use of gene markers in beef breeding; Residual feed intake; Cattle diseases, BSE update; Heparin binding protein as an indicator of bull potency; Short walk to irrigated pasture site; Runoff water from Ag lands; Update on the status of the agricultural discharge waiver/permit process; Money available to rangeland owners for conservation easement on Oaks Woodlands; Update on Rancher's Beef Cooperative; Chute-side demonstration; Heat synchronization with DICR's; Return to HQ and adjourn Controlling Wire Grass in Irrigated Pastures; Beef Marketing Trends; Job Opportunity: Animal Health Technician II
Sep 11, 20082004 Niche Meat Marketing Conference II; Northern Sacramento Valley Cow/Calf Cost Study Now on Line; Sheep Scapie Susceptibility Test at UCD; UC Davis Job Opportunity, Beef Operations Manager
Jun 8, 2011Bovine Trichomonosis Control Program; Beef Day & Trade Show
Jun 8, 20115th Annual Northern Sacramento Valley Field Crops Weed Control Seminar, 12/12/03, 8:15 to 12 noon
Jun 8, 2011Beef & Range Field Day Agenda, Midwest Beef Tour, Local Mineral Nutrition, Yuba County Mineral Data, Sutter County Mineral Data,