11477 E Avenue
Auburn, CA 95603
Dan Macon is the livestock and natural resources advisor for Placer, Nevada, Sutter and Yuba Counties. Prior to becoming an advisor, he was an associate specialist in rangeland science and management at UC Davis, with research and extension activities focused on drought management, predator-livestock coexistence, and water quality. Dan is also a partner in Flying Mule Farm, a small-scale commercial sheep operation in Auburn, California. He holds a master’s degree in integrated resource management from Colorado State University and a bachelor’s degree in agricultural and managerial economics from UC Davis. He currently serves as vice president of the California Wool Growers Association and is a past president of the California-Pacific Section of the Society for Range Management.
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Beef Cattle / Beef / Other Cattle Prod
- Goats and Goat Products
- Horses, Ponies, and Mules
- Sheep, Sheep Meat and Wool
- Pasture, General
- Pasture - Irrigated
- Soil and Land - General
- Wildlife - General
- Animal Management Systems
- Conservation and Efficient Use of Water
- Watershed Protection and Management
- Management of Range Resources
- Weather and Climate
- Economics of Agricultural Production and Farm Management
- Business Management, Finance, and Taxation
- Interact With the Media
- Climate Change
- Building Regional Markets
- Hardwood Rangelands
- Sustainable Natural Ecosystems
- Water Quality, Quantity, and Security
- Science Literacy in Natural Resources, Agriculture, and Nutrition
- Shaw, Julea; Gornish, Elise (2018). Integrating strip-seeding, targeted grazing, and prescribed fire to restore and manage California grasslands. Proceedings of the 2018 Ecological Society of America Annual Meeting. New Orleans, LA, Ecological Society of America. August 6.
- Macon, Dan; Baldwin, Roger (2018). Livestock Protection Tools for California Ranchers. UCANR. January.
- Fake, C.; Ingram, R. (2016). Beginning farmers and ranchers 2.0: Scaling up to profitability. 7th National Small Farm Conference.
- Macon, D.K.; Barry, S. (2016). "Coping with drought on California rangelands." Rangelands 38(4): 222-228.
- Fake, C.; Ingram, R. (2016). "Local food systems: Consumer attitudes and barriers to buying local." HortScience 51(9): S142.
- Fake, C.; Ingram, R.S. (2015). Evaluating consumer attitudes toward buying local and consumption of local produce. 78th Annual Rural Sociology Society Meeting.
- Fake, C.; Filan, T. (2015). "Training the next generation of farmers in the Sierra Nevada foothills." Supplement to HortScience 50(9)
- Fake, C.; Ingram, R.S. (2014). Assessing the importance of business planning training for beginning farmers and ranchers. 77th Annual Rural Sociology Society Meeting.
- Macon, D.K. (2014). "The art and science of targeted grazing." Rangelands 36: 31-35.
- Larsen, R.E.; Horney, M. (2014). "Update of the 2014 drought on California rangelands." Rangelands 36: 52-58.
- Fake, C.; Ingram, R.S. (2013). Consumer outreach to increase consumption and sales of local produce in the Sierra Nevada foothills. 76th Annual Rural Sociology Society Meeting.
- Daugherty, HC; Oltjen, JW (2018). Carbon and Water Footprints of Sheep Production in California: A life cycle assessment. Poster presented at: Sheep Industry Innovators Conference. July 19, 2018. Davis, CA. July 19.
- Macon, Dan; Baldwin, Roger (2018). Direct and indirect impacts from wolves and other predators: Building a baseline in California. Society for Range Management. February 1.
- Macon, Dan; Baldwin, Roger (2018). Direct and indirect impacts from wolves and other predators: Building a baseline in California. Proceedings of the 28th Vertebrate Pest Conference. Rohnert Park, CA. February 28.
- Schohr, Tacy; Macon, Dan (2018). Documenting Predator Impacts on Livestock. UCCE Placer/Nevada Publication 31-1006. June.
- Macon, Dan (2018). How Many Cows can my Property Support? UCCE Placer/Nevada Publication 31-1005. June.
- Macon, Dan (2018). Livestock Antibiotic Requirements: Are You Ready? UCCE Placer/Nevada Publication 31-1004. April.
- Macon, Dan (2018). Livestock Guardian Dog Behavior: Using technology to assess protective behaviors and predator response. Poster presented at: University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources Statewide Conference. April 9, 2018. Ontario, CA. April 9.
- Macon, Dan (2018). Livestock Guardian Dog Behavior: Using technology to assess protective behaviors and predator response. Poster presented at: Sheep Industry Innovators Conference. July 19, 2018. Davis, CA. July 19.
- Macon, Dan (2018). Targeted Grazing: A Primer for Consumers. UCCE Placer/Nevada Publication 31-1002. February.
- Macon, D.K. (2017). After the Fire: Resources for Ranchers. UCCE Placer/Nevada Publication 31-1001.
- Macon, D. (2017). Direct and indirect impacts to ranchers from wolves and other predators in California. Poster presented at: California Cattlemen's Association 101st Annual Conference. November 30, 2017. Sparks, NV. November 30.
- Macon, Dan (2017). Direct and indirect impacts to ranchers from wolves and other predators in California. Poster presented at: California Wool Growers Association Board of Directors Meeting. December 8, 2017. Woodland, CA. December 8.
- Macon, D. (2017). Livestock and Predators: No Easy Answers. Small Farmer's Journal. 41:1, 55.
- Macon, D.K. (2017). Sheep Management Basics: It All Starts with Grass. UCCE Placer/Nevada Publication 31-1000.
- Macon, D. (2016). "Essays from a Foothill Agrarian." Rangelands 37(6): 237-240.
- Macon, D. (2016). It's raining - time to think about drought! California Cattleman. February.
- Macon, D.K.; Fake, C. (2015). Farm business planning course helps farmers succeed. UC Delivers. http://ucanr.edu/delivers/?impact+956
- Macon, D.K.; Fake, C. (2013). Social media for farmers: a guide to email, Facebook and blogging. UCCE Placer/Nevada Publication 31-101C.
- Macon, D.K. (2013). What to buy first: capital purchases for new livestock operations. UCCE Placer/Nevada Publication 31-200. http://ucanr.edu/sites/placernevadasmallfarms/files/175314.pdf
- Macon, D.K. (2001). Grazing for Change: Rangeland and Watershed Management Success Stories.
- Macon, D.K. (1998). "What will the West become?" Rangelands 20: 4-5.
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Beef Safety and Quality Assurance - Member
- Climate Change Adaptation - Member
- Livestock Production Systems - Member
- Rangeland Watershed Program - Member
- Wildlife - Member