Nutrition Family and Consumer Sciences AdvisorCooperative Extension Riverside County
21150 Box Springs Road, Ste 202
Moreno Valley, CA 92557-8718
Expanded Food Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP)
San Bernardino County
Ph.D. Food Science, Washington State University. 1989
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Human Nutrition, Food Safety, and Human Health and Well-Being
- Protect Food From Contamination By Pathogenic Microorganisms, Parasites, and Naturally Occurring Toxins
- Healthy Lifestyle
- Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Yeung, HF; Bruhn, C; Blackburn, M; Ganthavorn, C; Martin, A; Mendoza, C; Neelon, M; Smith, D; Soule, K; Spezzano, TM; Barrett, T; Feng, Y. (2019). Evaluation of In-Person and On-Line Food Safety Education Programs for Community Volunteers. Journal of Food Control. 99, 34-39.
- Ganthavorn, C; Kaiser, L (2018). Spotlight Education Prompts Intent to Change Dietary Behaviors. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 50:3, 315-318.
- Nicoli, A; Ganthavorn, C; Mendoza, C; Martin, A; Neelon, M; Kaiser, L (2016). "A qualitative evaluation of UC CalFresh Plan, Shop, Save, Cook curriculum reveals additional outcomes." California Agriculture 70(2): 83-88.
- Mendoza, C.; Ganthavorn, C.; Neelon M, Lamp C (2015). Can Home-Based Education Fill the Gap When In-Class Education is Not an Option? 8th Biennial Childhood Obesity Conference. San Diego, CA. June.
- Kaiser, L.L.; Lamp, C.; Ganthavorn, C.; Farfan-Ramirez L, Behar M (2015). UCCE Efforts Improve Quality Of and Demand For Fresh Produce at WIC A-50 Stores. California Agriculture. 69(2), 105-109.
- Kaiser, L.; Ganthavorn, C. (2014). Evaluating intent-to-change among SNAP-Ed participants. Experimental Biology-American Society for Nutrition Annual Conference. San Diego, CA. April.
- Townsend, M.S.; Ganthavorn, C.; Neelon M, Donohue S (2014). Improving the quality of data from EFNEP participants with low-literacy skills: a participant-driven model. Journal of Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior. 46(4), 309-314.
- Blackburn, M.L.; Bruhn, C.M.; Soederberg M, Ganthavorn C (2014). Seniors, and their food handlers and caregivers, need food safety and nutrition education. California Agriculture. 68(1):1, 30-37.
- Crawford, P.B.; Schneider, C.L.; Martin AC, Spezzano T (2013). Communitywide Strategies Key to Preventing Childhood Obesity. California Agriculture. 67:1, 13-20.
- Kaiser, L.; Schneider, C.; Neelon, M. (2013). Evaluation of Nutrition Outcomes in Youth: Challenges and Opportunities. Chapter 1 in Youth: Practices, Perspectives and Challenges.E. Trejos-Castillo. Nova Science Publishers. https://www.novapublishers.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=42835
- Townsend, M.S.; Ganthavorn, C; Neelon M, Donohue S (2013). Improving the quality of data from EFNEP participants with low-literacy skills: a Participant-Driven Model. Record lecture content to sync with slides to accompany published journal article. Elsevier AudioSlides. December.
- Kaiser, L.; Chaidez, V.; Schneider, C. (2013). Plan, Shop, Save, Cook: Influence of SNAP on Program Outcomes. Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior Annual Conference. Portland, OR. August.
- Townsend, M.S.; Donohue, S.; Roche, B.; Ganthavorn C, Johns MC (2012). Designing a Food Behavior Checklist for EFNEP’s Low-literate Participants. J Nutr Educ Behavior. 44, S75-76.
- Townsend, M.S.; Ganthavorn, C.; Donohue, S.; Roche B, Lamp C (2012). EFNEP Data Collection: Using Cognitive Load Theory to Design a New Family Record. J Nutr Educ Behavior. 44, S75.
- Townsend, M.S.; Schneider, C.; Ganthavorn, C.; Johns MC, Neelon M (2012). Enhancing Quality of EFNEP Data: Designing a Diet Recall Form for the Low-literate Participant in a Group Setting. J Nutr Educ Behavior. 44, S15-16.
- Kaiser, L.; Lamp, C.; Ganthavorn, C.; Farfan-Ramirez, L. (2012). "UC Cooperative Extension explores a farm-to-WIC program." California Agriculture 66(1): 15-19.
- Lamp, C.; Ganthavorn, C.; Farfan-Ramirez, L.; McMurdo, T. (2011). Opportunities and challenges: making local, fresh, affordable produce more available to low-income California families via WIC stores. 6th Biennial Childhood Obesity Conference. San Diego, CA.
- Ganthavorn, C.; Neelon, M; Roche, B.; Kaiser, L. (2011). UC-FSNEP Changing the Classroom Environment. 6th Biennial Childhood Obesity Conference. San Diego, CA.
- Bruhn, C.M.; Barrett, G.; Blackburn, M.; Collins, M. (2010). Increasing Food Safety Competency in the Community. USDA Food Safety Educators Conference. Atlanta, GA. March.
- Ganthavorn, C. (2010). Marketing Produce to American Consumers. Southeast Asia Symposium on Quality and Safety of Fresh and Fresh-Cut Produce. ISHS Acta Horticulturae 875. 2010. http://www.actahort.org/books/875/
- Ganthavorn, C. (2009). "Extension Opportunities for Grandparents Raising Grandchildren." Journal of the National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences 4: 38-41.
- Hughes, J.S.; Ganthavorn, C. (2009). Role of Antioxidants in Asian Vegetables and California Dates. Asia Pacific Symposium on Assuring Quality and Safety of Agri-Foods. ISHS Acta Horticulturae. 837. June 2009. http://www.actahort.org/books/837/
- Ganthavorn, C.; Armijo, L.; Afana, F.; Schifano, L.; Herrera, R. (2009). Youth Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program and Riverside County Office of Education Head Start Team Delivered "Happy Healthy Me". 5th Biennial Childhood Obesity Conference. Anaheim, CA. June 2009.
- Hughes, J.; Ganthavorn, C. (2008). Evaluating the Antioxidant Capacity of California Dates and Asian Vegetables. 5th International Congress on Vegetarian Nutrition. Loma Linda University, CA. 2008.
- Ganthavorn, C; Hughes, J.S. (2007) Promoting Healthy Lifestyles Among Grandparents Raising Grandchildren in Riverside County. Journal of Extension [On-line] 45,
- Ganthavorn, C.; Escobar, P.; Staff, RCOE (2005). Engaging Head Start Parents to Make A Difference in Childhood Obesity. Childhood Obesity Annual Conference. San Diego, CA. 2005.
- Ganthavorn, C.; Hughes, J.S.; Jackson, S; Leuty, J (2004). Health Habits Survey of Head Start Families. California Dietetic Association Annual Conference. Oakland, CA. 2004.
- Ganthavorn, C; Hughes, J.S. (2002). Family Summer Camp As a Teaching Tool for Nutrition Education. California Dietetic Association Annual Conference. Riverside, CA. 2002.
- Hughes, J.S.; Ganthavorn, C.; Wilson-Sanders, S. (1997). "Dry beans inhibit Azoxymethane-induced colon carcinogenesis in F344 rats." Journal of Nutrition 127(12): 2328-2333.
- Ganthavorn, C; Hughes, J.S. (1997). "Inhibition of soybean oil oxidation by extracts of dry beans (Phaseolus vulgaris." Journal of American Oil Chemists Society 74(8): 1025-1030.
- Ganthavorn, C.; Nagel, C.W.; Powers, J.R. (1991). "Thermal inactivation of lipoxygenase and peroxidase in asparagus." Journal of Food Science 56(1): 47.
- Ganthavorn, C; Powers, J.R. (1989). "Partial purification and characterization of asparagus lipoxygenase." Journal of Food Science 54(2): 371.
- Ganthavorn, C.; Powers, J.R. (1988). "Changes in peroxidase activity, hexanal, ascorbic acid and free sulfhydryl in blanched asparagus during frozen storage." Journal of Food Science 53(5): 1403.
California Agriculture Article Contributions
- UCCE efforts improve quality of and demand for fresh produce at WIC A-50 stores
- Seniors, and their food handlers and caregivers, need food safety and nutrition education
- UC Cooperative Extension explores a farm-to-WIC program
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Money Talks - Member